RTW: Best Book(s) of August 2011

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors and followers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on their blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic: What's the best book you've read in August?

I jumped the gun a little on this post back on August 12, where I listed some great books I'd been reading. You can follow the above link for my comments and a video, but the titles were:

White Cat, Red Glove, and The Poison Eaters by Holly Black
Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst
Zombies vs. Unicorns ed. by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

All of those are definitely recommendations (can't wait for the next Curse Workers book, Black Death) and I'll probably reread them again sometime, but the best book of the month for me was not technically YA (although it was exactly the kind of book I would have been delighted to find as a teen):



I've mentioned before that I used to work in a book store (where I met my husband, but that's another RTW) and one of our former coworkers is now a sales rep for a publisher. He and his wife (who also met while working at the same book store, but that's another another RTW)(and also, HI!, since she reads my blog) kindly send me packages of books every once in a while.

The last two boxes were a treasure trove of titles that I haven't quite worked my way through, including some Gene Wolfe books. Anvil of the World was nestled in there, and I can see that there was a theme going on. Kage Baker does a lot of the same kind of highly skilled character- and world-building as Wolfe, but she adds little brushstrokes of humor a la Terry Pratchett. The closest book in tone that I can think of is The Flying Sorcerers by David Gerrold and Larry Niven.

Here's the little blurb on Anvil of the World from Amazon: "The Anvil of the World is the tale of Smith and his feud-prone people, the Children of the Sun. Smith, formerly a successful assassin, is trying to retire, hoping to live an honest life in obscurity in spite of all those who have sworn to kill him. But when he agrees to be the master of a caravan from traveling from the inland city of Troon to Salesh by the sea, trouble follows.As always, Baker's approach is charmingly distinctive. Smith's adventure is certainly the only fantasy featuring a white-uniformed nurse, gourmet cuisine, one hundred and forty-four glass butterflies, and a steamboat."

This was one of those books that the entire time I was reading it, and after I finished, I kept telling my husband, "You have to read this one!", even though our tastes don't always overlap. But I also say to you, dear blog readers, "You have to read this one!"

13 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaitlin Ward said...

That book sounds very fun!

Tracey Neithercott said...

First off, I love the cover. Second, how can I not be interested in a book that features a nurse, gourmet food, 144 glass butterflies, and a steam boat?

Rebecca B said...

Forty-four glass butterflies? I'm intrigued.
The title ZOMBIES VS. UNICORNS cracks me up every time. :)

Lori Ann Stephens said...

How lucky are you to get book packages? My partner chuckles at my recent reading, too. : )
I just listed a book giveaway on Goodreads. It's not fantasy, but it it a coming-of-age story about girls (for grown-ups!)
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/14234-song-of-the-orange-moons

Jaquira Díaz said...

I loved, loved, loved Holly Black's White Cat. I just got myself a copy of Red Glove, too.

Alison Miller said...

I'm so jealous of your connections! And I love the sound of this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Write Life said...

So great to get some new titles to add to my list! Thanks very much for this!

Angie said...

Sounds interesting, and what a beautiful cover (it's nice to see a book that doens't have yet another girl in a dress on it). :) I need to read me some Holly Black, been hearing a lot of good things about her books.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! And I mentioned it a few times as I commented on other people's posts, but I forgot to recommend Paranormalcy and Supernaturally by Kiersten White, too. I read them back-to-back and Evie is a great character--strong but vulnerable and fallible.

Lora Palmer said...

Sounds like a very fun read! Oh, and I've been meaning to read Paranormalcy. So many books, so little time...

Christina Mercer said...

I will have to check this one out.

I've also been wanting to read Paranormalcy, and I notice it's included in one of the prize packs from Operation Awesome :-))

Jessica Love said...

This book sounds great!

Post a Comment