Road Trippy Wednesday: Best Book in October


Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic: What was the best book you read in October?


Okay, so the photo above has nothing to do with the books I'm going to mention--it's just something I saw on the way home. What appeared to be a large shrubbery merged onto the highway; the pickup was so overloaded you couldn't see the vehicle at all from the back. I had to take 3 photos before I got one that shows a wheel to prove there is indeed a pickup under there.

I thought to myself,"Boy are the Knights Who Say Ni going to be happy when he brings them that shrubbery!"


On to the books: my picks are three books from the same series, Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate. I've already blogged about how I dipped my toe into Soulless and was then sucked into a vortex of do-nothing-else until I had read Changeless and Blameless also, but I'm not sure that counts as a proper review.

I haven't read steampunk very widely (does The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson count? That's one of my all-time favorite books), but as far as I can tell they fit the genre, with the added bonus of vampires and werewolves. And yes, I too am reaching saturation on vampires and werewolves, but I'm always on the lookout for books that put a new twist on the fuzzies and the fangies.

And Gail Carriger does manage a new twist, both with the paranormals and the alternate history/world she has created. The main character's voice is so strong, and it fits her personality so well. I can't wait to read the next book (2011!), even though I thought the third one dragged in places. These are just great, fun reads, with a little bit of sass and spice thrown in.

6 comments:

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I hadn't heard of these-- I will check them out. And that truck thingee is ca-razy!

Sage said...

I've heard mixed reviews on these books, so I've been torn on trying them, but I will add your review to the consideration.

Alicia Gregoire said...

Like KO, I haven't heard of these books and I can't remember if I've even read a steampunk. Hmm..

And I can't believe someone would put that many plants in a truck

Melanie said...

I'm so behind on literature that I feel as if I'll never catch up. But, for October, the best book I've read was Graceling.

Funny picture. Not sure about there, but here, that would have gotten pulled over by a cop and handed a major ticket. Funny shot.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

The authorities definitely give a little slack on the backroads, but this guy was on the highway. The picture is actually once we got off the highway, but I'm not even sure the guy could see out of any of his mirrors.

Kind of par for the course for the mountain folk (I've seen a pig in the back seat of a sedan and goats in the back of a station wagon) 'round here. Yee haw!

Amie Kaufman said...

Oh, I've just finished Soulless, I loved it! It was funny, quirky, witty, and I loved the way she winked to the reader and brought you along, rather than sitting up high and being clever at you. (Not a very intellectual review there, 3 hours sleep on an international flight.)

I can't wait to get onto the next two, so excited!

Post a Comment