For their "grand opening" in September, the blog Operation Awesome ran a one-sentence pitch contest judged by a mysterious agent. They naively said that the contest would end at 50 pitches or the end of September, whichever came first--they had their 50 entries in twelve hours!

I entered fairly early, and kept badgering my critique partners to do the same before all the slots were taken. The badgering paid off for one of those partners when she caught the eye of the agent, Mandy Hubbard. Nancy didn't even win the prize of a full read, just a mention that her pitch sounded intriguing; she still had to go through the query-full-phone call process. (Gaah--I couldn't sleep at all when Nancy told me she'd gotten an email asking a good time to call!)

Well, she ended up signing with Mandy Hubbard and got an agent out of the contest! Here is Nancy Herman's story. So now you know these contests work!

P.S. Operation Awesome has been dropping hints that they are about to run another contest, so be sure to check their site often!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That's awesome! Congrats to Nancy!

Marieke said...

I love this story! :D

Amie Kaufman said...

That's fantastic, I love hearing stories like this! A girl can daydream, after all!

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Yay! So happy for Nancy! She's clearly worked SO hard for this. Thank you for giving her the heads up (or nagging, whatever you had to do!) about the contest.

I love success stories, how-I-got-my-agent stories, and the like. They always cheer me up about my own querying adventures. :)

p.s. Nancy's story got me polishing my own one-sentence pitch, even though I'm not eligible for OA's contests. Like she said, you never know when you'll need one.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I was just in The Bookery in Placerville yesterday (our local warren of used books) and there was a girl looking for a book for a school assignment: historical and at least 100 pages. I so wanted to pipe up and say, "Can you wait a year or more until this really great book finds a publisher and hits the bookstores?" They handed her Patty Reed's Doll--which is another great Donner Party book for kids!

Post a Comment