A lot of writers would like to take some formalized writing classes, but can't spare the time or the expense for an MFA. Many universities offer certificates in creative writing through their extension courses, adult learning, or continuing education programs. Some community and junior colleges are offering them now as well, and either venue is a good opportunity to make connections within the writing community.

I was excited to find a program near me through UCDavis, and then ran into a glitch. They've started offering a few online courses, but their regular classes take place at 6 in the evening. And, surprisingly for a university that prides itself on promoting bicyclists, their Sacramento location does not have any public transportation options. I do have a car, but my route to their location passes through prime commuter territory.

As an experiment, I tried to go to their information session, and left my house at 3:45. By 5:15, I had gone about 1/3 of the way and had been at a standstill for a while. It took me another 20 minutes to make it to the next exit, where I promptly got off the highway and turned tail for home.

But another opportunity has come up in the form of a summer intensive class, taking place over two weekends. That part of town is much quieter on the weekends, so I should have no problem getting there on time. Sold! I've already signed up (a birthday present from hubby since my business account is tapped out).

Here are some links for certificate programs I found:

University of Chicago

NYU SCPS

Washington University (St. Louis, MO)

UCLA

Santa Barbara City College

UC Davis (CA)

Emory University (Atlanta, GA)

University of Toronto

Community College of Philadelphia

Phoenix College (AZ)

University College (Denver, CO)

0 comments:

Post a Comment