That's a very film-noir way to put how I feel about my first novel now. I did a major rewrite a few months back to address some issues with the characters and plot, ran some sections through the critique group, and then happily sent off the "finished" product to betas. I say happily not so much because I was convinced it was a perfect manuscript, but because I was good and ready to move onto something else after working on this one novel for soooo loooonng.

I got the first full beta back today (thanks again to the wonderfully insightful Karla Nellenbach) and, sure enough, some of the things that I thought I'd fixed (or at least addressed) were still there. I'd figured that out somewhat on my own, because I've started the sequel and was running into the same kinds of questions, but Karla pointed it out very eloquently.

One of the issues was to find the balance between the paranormal and the historical romance story elements. I do believe there's room for both in the book-as long as they are both fully realized. The problem is that in their current incarnations, neither one genuinely is. So back to the trenches, and the second book will have to wait a bit, but will ultimately benefit from the wrinkles I'm ironing out in the first book.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I got so sick of my current WIP that I worked on something else for a month.

But I will say, while it put me back several weeks, fleshing out something new was amazing and fun and refreshing. And when I got back to my current WIP, I was so excited to dive back in!

Maybe you *should* give yourself a break--just a little one, of course, but sometimes it helps to come back to a piece from a slight distance. Good luck on your revisions!

Post a Comment