RTW: All My Favoritest Books of June

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors and followers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on their blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic: (Back by popular demand!) What's the best book you've read this month?

Wait, I can only pick one?!?!? I've actually read a surprising number of books in June; surprising because I've also been doing heavy rewrites and they're usually incompatible. Either I can't turn my editor off enough to enjoy the book, or I enjoy it so much that it interferes with my character's voice (speaking of voice, check out this post from May on YA books that do an excellent job with voice).

I was going to mention Divergent by Veronica Roth, but apparently I've lost all sense of time because that came out in early May. Bought it on release date and read it in two days.




So since we didn't do a Best Book for May, I nominate that one.

For June, I'm just going to list all the books I read, since they were all good:









These Best Book RTWs are a love/hate thing for me! I love discovering all these book recs, but I hate that my to-be-read pile increases exponentially!

13 comments:

Miss Cole said...

I cannot wait for James Dashner's next book. I devoured The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials.

Kristin Briana Otts said...

Oh man. Clearly I've got to finish reading Divergent and hop on board the adoration train.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

You are so right... my book list is getting way beyond me already!

Divergent rocks!

the James Dashner books look cool, and I see Chains often and almost pick it up each time. I will have to check it out. I love LH Anderson's writing.

Susan Oloier said...

I love when others post their favorite reads. But, like you, it only adds to my ever-increading list of to-read books. I have considered reading Laurie Halse Anderson's book for a long time. I may just crack down and get it finally. Thanks for the post!

Kaitlin Ward said...

Divergent is so great! I have been wanting to read Anna and the French Kiss for a while--I feel like I hear something about its awesomeness every single week!

Unknown said...

I loved Divergent, too! And I can empathize--sometimes it's so hard to remember when you read something!

ANNA!!! That book is totally my boyfriend. Glad you enjoyed it!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm with you - loved Divergent and Anna and the French Kiss. I liked The Maze Runner. I haven't read the other two.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Divergent is on my TBR list!

All these books look good. :)

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Miss Cole and Theresa: we just sent Maze Runner to my nephew, who's laid up from a surgery. Time's going to fly while he's reading that!

Kristin and Jennifer: I rarely buy books on release day, let alone read them that quickly, but Divergent did not disappoint! Move it up your list!

KO and Susan: Chains was recommended to me by an agent as an example of voice and characterization, and Anderson really succeeded with that. So much so, that I didn't like the followup book as well because it was from the POV of a different character.

Kaitlin: the same agent recced Anna and the French Kiss, and I can't believe it took me that long to read it. Not the kind of book I would normally pick, but it's so fun and well done that I now rec it. Listen to me and Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Luckily, I've read a few of these, so my list won't grow *that* exponentially! So many books, so little time...
And now I've rediscovered MG, which adds another gazillion fantastic books, both new and classic, into the mix.

Miss Cole said...

I hope your nephew recovers soon! A good book is sure to get him through. If he needs more, he should give Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking trilogy a go too.

RAD - Dot Painter said...

Hey Angelica, thought I would comment here based on your comments on my blog. Can you believe I was number 50? Whew! Thanks for the heads up on that contest! Not sure mine was all that polished, but it is a great exercise. We'll see you in a couple of weeks?

Anonymous said...

I read Divergent soon after it came out...and it sticks in memory, too.

I loved Anna and the French Kiss.

Post a Comment